Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fright Night

Halloween exists in Spain. Transferred from Ireland to the United States during the 1800s, it has jumped back over the pond, invading Spain about 10 years ago. I was invited to a costume party on Thursday, but assuming I would throw some clothes together out of my closet and find some cheap accessories at a Halloween store, I didn't think anything of it. I forgot to take one thing into account: while people in Spain celebrate 'Halloween', it is not necessarily like Halloween in the States. Indeed, Halloween in Spain is slightly different. And while the difference is slight, it is a very important detail.

Halloween costumes in Spain must be scary. No question. None of that 'princess' or 'doctor' stuff like in the States. You must be creepy. Spooky. Evil.

I
had never even been anything scary for Halloween (me, the American!). What was I to do? After a purchase of vampire teeth and an effort to soften them up in boiling water, which ended in failure and destroyed vampire teeth, I was at a loss. Luckily, Savannah came to the rescue. The solution? Makeup! She dressed us up as 'dead' (aka: dark eye makeup and fake blood to create a zombie-like appearance). We were pretty creepy looking, don't you think?

(Josh, in the middle, has some vampire teeth in his pocket, thus making his outfit 'scary'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment